The origins of Victoria Lake Club can be traced to the Germiston Aquatic Club, which was formed in 1906. This club boasted a small collection of locally build sailing craft.
The Germiston Aquatic Club never had a permanent site although application had been made for one on the western shores of the lake, but was turned down by council. This club eventually disbanded.
Shortly after 1906, the Germiston Boating Club was formed and a boathouse was erected near the Victoria Falls Power Station on the eastern shores of the lake.
In January 1909, the Germiston Boating Club amalgamated with another club - the Victoria Sailing Club - and the Victoria Lake Club was formed. A wood and iron structure was built and served the club until the present clubhouse was opened in 1929.
The club took an important step forward in 1910 when the Consolidated Goldfields Mining Company donated 1000 pounds for purchase of new rowing boats, on condition that a certain number of employees could become members. They wanted to encourage their employees to participate in outdoor exercise to counteract the bad effects of underground mining.
The club grew from strength to strength and produced many Springbok rowers and sailors. In 1908, the canoeing section was created and currently the three disciplines - rowing, canoeing and sailing - share the water. With the large area of water, large and plentiful boat sheds the rowing section is the biggest section within the club. Many of the top rowing schools in Gauteng are also affiliated to the club and hundreds of kids (kept in line by their coaches!) can be seen taking to the water during the week.